Wednesday, February 26, 2014

random passions


crochet and snow
light and shadow
from 2009, I think. . .

I was going to crochet some new things again this winter, but couldn't decide which project to tackle first.  Another scarf, an afghan, something completely different?  So all I accomplished in the end  was finding and organizing my yarns and crochet needles.  That in itself felt like quite an accomplishment, so I'll enjoy how that feels for a while.

I've been thinking a bit more about blogging.  How it's changed over the years.  How I've changed over the years.  How I really don't want to completely let go of blogging, but how I need this blog to be different going forward.  So for now I've added a new subtitle at the top.  "random passions"  Maybe that will tie together the rather disjointed posts I've managed to squeeze out lately.  :)  I have a strong feeling that this simple addition will inspire me to post more often.

We'll see.

When I started blogging, I was so delighted to have a place online to put all my words, and to actually find so many wonderful people to connect with!  It seems to me that I had so many more words waiting to be expressed back then.  These days I find myself with few words to share much of the time.  I often find myself thinking in images, colors, and emoticons instead. :)  It feels like too much trouble to put them into words, because the words either won't be read anymore, or worse - they will be misunderstood.

Then I found this quote on tumblr this morning ( I LOVE tumblr!), and I had one of those "AHA!!!!" moments.

Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? 
Pythagoras was misunderstood, 
and Socrates, 
and Jesus, 
and Luther, 
and Copernicus, 
and Galileo, 
and Newton, 
and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. 
To be great is to be misunderstood.” 
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Self Reliance"

Not that I'm comparing myself to any of these great thinkers, but it does put things into perspective doesn't it.?


12 comments:

  1. Das sind sehr interessante Gedanken!

    Ich denke, viele verstehen auch, was Du mitteilst, angela. Zum Beispiel eine Freundin von mir aus Berlin hat mir mal gesagt, dass sie von Dir begeistert ist.

    Ich kenne das auch, ab und zu odr von manchen Leuten missverstanden beziehungsweise miss-interpretiert zu werden zu werden. Das Proverb, dass du gefunden hast, ist sehr hilfreich, damit nicht zu hadern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke liebe Dori!

      Ich glaube wir zwei verstehen uns aber. :)

      Delete
  2. That is a great photo and image, Angela xo

    I think about blogging too

    Love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela, I am feeling the same. I got used to being misunderstood a long, long time ago :-).
    I love to see you on Tumblr (I LOVE it too!), nice to see you here also.
    Love you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sweetie! I've been misunderstood for much of my life, too. You'd think I'd be used to it by now! :) I love seeing what you post on tumblr too. Love you, too! xo

      Delete
  4. I echo your thoughts and sentiments. I haven't "stopped" blogging - I just can't put it all into words suddenly. yet with that limitation has come a blossoming in other ways. I'm still enjoying it all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mim!
      I love how you put it:
      "I haven't "stopped" blogging - I just can't put it all into words suddenly. yet with that limitation has come a blossoming in other ways."
      Yes. Exactly that. Thank you for sharing this!

      Delete
  5. A great quote- makes a lot of sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharmon! I'm glad you liked the quote, too. :)

      Delete
  6. Hi, Angela. Finally found a moment to stop by. Lovely quote. You seem to have been hibernating, but spring is here. Hope things will pick up for you. I see my blogs as a place to organize and get the work(play) done, a way to keep going despite everything. Good luck!
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nadia! Thanks for taking the time to add your thoughts. I love how blogging fills a different need for each of us.

      Even though it's still quite cold and gray here, it did manage to hit 50 degrees yesterday, and the sunshine looks and feels a bit warmer every day. I'm grateful for every little sign of Spring and look forward to seeing the first plants emerging from the ground again. It will be hot and humid again soon enough, so I'll definitely enjoy these in-between days! :)

      Wishing you the best!

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I truly enjoy reading your comments.

PLEASE NOTE: Comments will appear after blog owner approval.